Thursday, November 11, 2004

Another Kind of Veteran

"Madam, I am the civilization they are fighting to defend" said Oxford Poetry Professor Heathcote William Gerard, when he was asked about why he didn't fight during World War One. On one level, that's a pretty arrogant statement. But on another level, it was perfectly true. Apart from that educator's not very self effacing assessment of his role and importance, it occurs to me that it may indeed be a very good way to honor the veterans that fought and sacrificed for him and us.

I never had the opportunity to serve, although I actually looked into it on more than one occasion. I love flying and thought the coolest thing in the world would be to be a pilot. When I found out that my eyesight wasn't good enough to be a pilot in the armed forces, I eventually achieved that dream on my own time and nickel (An awful lot of nickels, actually.)

As I thought more about it, I was drawn to the Coast Guard for a time. While the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines have very important jobs to do, they do pretty much come down to killing people and breaking things. It has it's place, but I found the Coast Guard's additional missions of protecting boaters, saving lives and property, getting in the way of drugs coming in the country, and otherwise doing good, pretty compelling. So I applied for admission to the Coast Guard Academy. Didn't make it. They only take the best, and no political appointments. I sure would have liked to sail on the tall ship, Eagle, though.

A few years later, I looked into just joining up as an enlisted person. And they let me know that my sad old body just wasn't fit enough for them. So I never have been, and never will be a member of the military. I sure admire them though.

Right now, we have kids (don't I sound old?) with their lives on the line. And I'm thinking about what the best way is to honor them. Perhaps they would take some satisfaction in my living the life that their struggle allows me to lead; going to work, raising my son, loving my wife, voting in elections, going to the store, and enjoying the freedom that we've all got to share for almost 230 years. I'll even try to be a little civilized, if it helps.

No comments: